Written by Brad Crawford
A geothermal heating and cooling system is an extremely efficient and economical alternative to traditional natural gas powered or electric powered furnaces /air handlers and air conditioners. When evaluating the merits of the many available types of geothermal heating and cooling in Dallas, keep in mind the following benefits you’ll enjoy with a geothermal comfort system.
- Exceptional efficiency: Geothermal systems are extremely efficient, providing an extraordinary 300 to 400 percent efficiency level. They produce three or four units of heat for each unit of electricity consumed. This can be achieved because heat pumps do not generate heat. Instead, they capture and displace energy allowing the ground beneath us to serve as the energy source to cool or heat water which serves as the source of energy for the homes comfort system. Sounds confusing but it really is a simple process.
- Flexibility: Geothermal heating and cooling is appropriate for any climate and can be adapted for use in most any setting, urban, suburban, or rural.
- Low cost of operation: Geothermal heating and cooling systems can slash your monthly energy bills by as much as 70 percent. You will find that the initial investment in a geothermal installation system may cost up to 2 times the amount of a conventional system, but the 30% federal tax credit on the complete installation combined with the monthly savings on your utility bills means you’ll recover the initial costs in 3-7 years depending on your total usage.
- Lower lifetime costs: Geothermal heating and cooling systems are sturdy and reliable. With regularly scheduled, twice year maintenance, a geothermal heat pump system will last 25 years or longer. That is 2-3 times longer than a conventional furnace or condensing unit. Why? Because the geothermal system sit inside your home in a mechanical area that is not subjected to the outdoor elements and corrosive conditions. They need little maintenance and repair to keep them running.
- Peace and quiet: Geothermal heat pumps produce very little noise when they operate. They work quietly and are not irritating or disruptive to your household. So there are no unsightly large condensing units lined outside your home or noisy while you are trying to enjoy the outdoors.
- Environmentally friendly: Geothermal systems do not burn fuel, so they do not produce greenhouse gases or dangerous exhaust fumes such as carbon monoxide. Their efficiency level means they use less electricity than other sources, which reduces overall demand for power from your local electric company.
Heating and cooling in Dallas is always easier with the sales, maintenance, and repair offered by Crawford Services, Inc. We provide professional heating, air conditioning, and plumbing services for customers in Dallas and North Texas. Contact us today for more information on geothermal heating and cooling and for expert help deciding if a geothermal system is right for you.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in North Texas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Image courtesy of Shutterstock