Written by Brad Crawford
Is AC repair or replacement your best option? Ask these questions of yourself and your AC repair technician to make the best decision.
Deciding between AC repair versus replacement:
- Are you happy with the your current cooling equipment? Are there any current hot or cold spots in your home that need correcting?
- Research and determine the licensing and insurance requirements for your state, county and/or local area. Check for any special local building codes.
- Ask your family and friends if they would recommend a specific contractor. Find out what AC repair work was done, whether it was done in a timely fashion, and if the final cost matched the estimate given? Have a list of preferred AC repair and replacement contractors ready to use when needed.
- Know the model and age of your existing system.
- Stay aware of any available rebates being offered on heating and cooling equipment. Good information is available at Energy Star.
Questions for contractor:
- Does the contractor meet all licensing and insurance requirements? Do the individual technicians?
- Does the contractor have experience with your existing cooling equipment?
- Will the contractor provide a list of current customer references? Call ask if their jobs were satisfactorily completed within the cost estimate and on time.
- Does the contractor perform a complete home evaluation and needs assessment? This should include sizing the cooling equipment based on the needs of the occupants, size of the house, amount of insulation, etc.
- Does the replacement equipment recommended meet energy-efficient guidelines?
- Will the contractor provide a written and itemized proposal that clearly outlines all work to be done, job schedule, completion date, model numbers, energy efficiency and warranty information?
It is never a good time in North Texas to have your cooling equipment stop working. If you’re prepared with the questions above, you’ll find the AC repair and replacement experts at Crawford Services have all the correct answers.