Written by Brad Crawford
When boiler repair becomes necessary in your Dallas home, your best option is to call your local trusted HVAC service provider for expert repair. Boilers are volatile and potentially dangerous pieces of heating equipment that should be worked on by trained and certified experts in boiler repair and operation.
There are a few simple troubleshooting tasks you can perform on your own, such as:
- Checking circuit breakers and resetting any that have tripped.
- Checking for and replacing blown fuses.
- Ensuring the pilot light is on (if the unit has a standing pilot).
- Making sure thermostat is set to heat mode.
- Ensuring the thermostat’s temperature setting is appropriate.
Other, more involved troubleshooting and boiler repair tasks should be left to your HVAC specialist. The technician will check the system’s operation and perform repairs such as:
- Check and adjust water level and water pressure in the boiler.
- Check the ignition system (if appropriate) for proper operation and repair or replace defective ones.
- Check and calibrate thermostat for proper control and operation of boiler. Replace thermostat as needed.
- Make sure boiler is receiving fuel and that there are no dangerous fuel leaks or other problems associated with fuel transport.
- Flush the boiler to remove accumulated sediments or mineral deposits that might be affecting performance.
- Check expansion tank for proper amount of water and appropriate pressure.
- Check for leaks around the pressure relief valve and various pipe connections. Repair leaks as needed.
- Test pressure relief valve performance and repair or replace if necessary. The pressure relief valve is a critical component that prevents overpressurization and potential breakdowns and hazardous conditions near the boiler. Make sure this valve is operating correctly.
- Bleed air from radiators to restore heating function.
- Make sure water circulator is running properly and distributing hot water as needed to radiators. Repair or replace circulator as needed.
- Adjust pitch of return lines to make sure no water is trapped in these pipes.
In the Dallas area, Crawford Services, Inc. is a leading provider of professional heating and cooling sales, maintenance and repair. Contact us today for more information on boiler repair and troubleshooting, and for the repair services you need to keep your boiler working efficiently, reliably and safely.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in North Texas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Image courtesy of Shutterstock