Written by Brad Crawford
Solar energy may sound like a great idea in the sunny area of DFW, but some of the complicated setups involved with Solar may be frustrating. If you’re just getting started with solar power considerations, you need a simple, cost-effective system. The SunSource Home Energy System from Lennox gives you just that.
The SunSource system consists of a high-efficiency air conditioner or heat pump integrated with roof-mounted solar modules (panels). To run your A/C or heat pump, the system uses solar energy before it draws electricity from your power company.
Electricity not needed for heating or cooling can be put toward powering other home electronics. After that, surplus electricity is fed back to your power company, giving you a credit on your next bill.
Other advantages of the SunSource system include:
- Simple installation – Because the system is solar-ready, it doesn’t require alterations during installation. Although it still requires professional installation, this simpler process makes things faster and cheaper for you.
- Flexibility – The system allows you to start with as little as one solar module and add up to 15 panels. You can get started immediately even if your budget doesn’t allow for a system powered fully by solar energy.
- Long life span – The Dave Lennox Signature Collection condensing units used in the SunSource system carry a limited warranty for 10 years. The solar modules are guaranteed to perform at no less than 80 percent for 25 years, and the microinverters are covered by a 15-year limited warranty.
- Microinverter technology – An inverter is what turns the direct current (DC) electricity from the solar panels into alternating current (AC) your home can use. While many systems use a single invertor for all the panels, the SunSource system uses a microinverter for each individual solar panel. This allows for better performance optimization of each panel.
- Precision monitoring – Using your home’s broadband Internet, the SunSource system updates you with real-time performance data. You’ll be able to monitor your system’s status, energy production levels and positive environmental impact.
If cost concerns are holding you back, keep in mind there are a few ways to reduce your expenses.
Because the SunSource system is connected to your utility company’s grid, you may be eligible for government and utility company rebates that lower your total installation costs.
The condensing units used in the SunSource system are Energy Star-qualified, so they’re eligible for the federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit. Install your solar energy system before Dec. 31, 2016 and you’ll be able to claim a 30 percent tax credit on your costs.
There are also financing options available to break the cost down into small monthly payments and then allow the utility savings to offset the payment amount.
If you’re interested in adding the SunSource Home Energy System or any other energy-efficient HVAC equipment to your home, please contact us at Crawford Services. We have provided home comfort services in Dallas and the surrounding area for over 30 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in North Texas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Image courtesy of Shutterstock