An efficient boiler obviously will save you a lot more money in energy costs than one that wastes energy. Highly efficient boilers waste less energy while doing a better job at heating your home during the winter in the DFW area. But how do you know if your boiler runs efficiently?

There are three things to look for when figuring out how efficient your boiler is:

  • AFUE rating
  • Sealed combustion
  • Condensing flue gases

The AFUE rating on a boiler is the best measure of its efficiency. AFUE, short for annual fuel utilization efficiency, is the ratio of heat output compared to the total energy consumed by the boiler. Ratings are presented in percentage form, such as 90 percent. An AFUE rating of 90 means that 90 percent of the energy in the fuel of the boiler becomes heat for your home, while the other 10 percent escapes through the chimney and elsewhere in your home. Therefore, a high AFUE rating means that your boiler runs efficiently.

The minimum allowed AFUE rating for a fossil-fueled boiler is 80 percent, while the minimum for a gas-fueled steam boiler is 75. These aren’t the best AFUE ratings, so if your boiler has similar ratings, you might consider investing in a more efficient boiler. High-efficiency boilers have 90-97 percent AFUE ratings.

Generally, DFW boilers with high AFUE ratings also have sealed combustion and condensing flue gases. Boilers with sealed combustion waste less energy by using outside air for the combustion process instead of using the heated air inside your home. They also release less combustion gases into your home. Condensing flue gases make boilers more efficient since they condense the water vapor produced by the combustion process, and the resulting heat is used to heat your home.

Choosing efficient DFW boiler or HVAC systems in your home will save you money and help reduce greenhouse emissions that are released into the environment. There are many ways to save energy, including upgrading your boiler.

Contact Crawford Services, Inc. for all of your DFW boiler needs, including installation, repair and replacement. We have experts ready to answer your questions and concerns about the HVAC systems in your DFW home and who can help you get your home ready for the upcoming heating season.